Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sickening Shoal

I've been playing Magic the Gathering for quite some time but I stopped updating my decks since maybe a two or three years ago. The Ravnica block was the last block I ever meddled with. My favorite block would be the Kamigawa block because of its Japanese theme. The card I'm about to review is from the Kamigawa block.

I have made a review for a MTG* card before but it got deleted with my old account. By the way, I'll be leaving some notes for those who have never played or heard of the game before, that is if you're still reading this far. Let's start my review of the Sickening Shoal.


Sickening Shoal is a rare, black, instant-arcane card with a casting cost of XBB**. This is what the spell can do: You may exile*** a black card with converted mana cost X from your hand rather than paying Sickening Shoals Mana cost. Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn.

What I like best about this card is its alternative casting cost. Besides being an instant**** card, this gives a surprise to the opponent when you're tapped out^. Also you can include cards with high casting costs to your deck as payment to casting this card which you can also use latter on in the duel if it lasts long enough. The next thing I like about this card is that it can take out the indestructible^^ creatures by just making them disappear. With enough mana (or the right black card), it can even make a Darksteel Colossus^^^ disappear. But a different card^^^^ is better suited for Darksteel Colossus disposals. Yet still.

As a black and blue color user, I personnaly like this card and have it placed permanently on one of my black decks.


----------


* Magic the Gathering
** X is any color of mana cost BB is two black mana
*** To remove the card from the game (The original printing didn't say exile, as seen on the picture)
**** It can be played anytime even if it's not your turn

^ All mana sources are tapped out
^^ Those that cannot be destroyed by damage or destruction spells.
^^^ Let's just say it's a big creature and it's indestructible
^^^^ That card would be Eradicate

No comments: