Search This Blog

Saturday, June 19, 2010

9th ToyCon Philippines, Day 1


The 9th Philippine Toys, Hobbies & Collectibles Convention 2010 Is a two-day event that happened on the 19th and 20th of June 2010 at Megatrade Halls 2 and 3 of SM Mega Mall. It featured DC Comics' 75th Anniversary. Thus, most of the games were themed after the DC brand. I'm not really a DC fan but I enjoyed the day's events. I'm more a Marvel guy. (On the picture is the stamp on my left arm.)


Day 1, 19 June 2010.

This years convention wasn't as crowded as last year's. I was still able to move around quite well. I have a feeling that this year's turnout is fewer. However, that hasn't stopped me from enjoying my tour for the convention. There were the usual booths of toys, comics, and the like. But there were a few new things that caught my attention. First up are the promo girls. There were promo girls on the previous years but there were a lot more this time around. Second is the display of the various game consoles. Natsukashii, ne? One guy was actually playing Duck Hunt. (This game is old that most of you might not even know it.)


During one of the question and answer games, a couple of high school girls caught my attention. Why? It was not because they were all dressed up for Cosplay. It was because they were like walking encyclopedias of the DC Universe. They knew almost everything about the DC Universe; from the alter egos, to super powers, to events. They know it all. I'm sure some male DC fans had major nergasms.

I watched a couple of bands play. One of them were Rockwell Science. They are an amateur band and they mostly played songs by Judy and Mary (J-Pop Music, man). The other band was Paramita, a famous local rock band. They played three new songs from their upcoming album.




Finally. The sisters Alodia and Ashley were there on the scene. Cosplayers and Otakus of the Philippines know these sisters as celebrities of the Cosplay scene. And of course, photographers of all kinds had a field day with the sisters. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't able to take some.

To my drooling friends who always wished that they could at least attend once in their lives. Two words, vacation leave. This event always fall on a weekend. C'mon guys.