Search This Blog

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Negros in Four Days

My recent trip to the Visayas was not limited to Bacolod City. This time, I had the chance to visit Dumaguete City as well.

Bacolod City. The city of smiles was my first destination. I stayed at my usual hotel of choice, Check Inn Pensionne. It is by far the cheapest hotel I have ever stayed in. The room rates are from USD 11 - USD 45. However, they don't have free breakfast but it's okay. The hotel is just beside City Hall which also makes it very accessible. SM City Bacolod is just walking distance away. And SM City Bacolod is very near one of the famous food destinations at Bacolod, Manokan Country.

Manokan Country is a stretch of restaurants that have chicken inasal as their specialty. Chiken inasal is their style of barbecue. You can have your own choice of cuts; paa (legs and thighs), pecho (breast), pechopak (breast with wings), three pieces of wings, and the famous chicken ass. They also have heart, liver, and some oysters.

Dumaguete City. I took the bus to get to Dumaguete City. There are two options, one taking the North route and the other, the South route. There are more trips using the South route because it's faster. Still, it takes around six hours to get to Dumaguete from Bacolod by bus.

I only have one observation about the personnel of Ceres bus lines North station. The conductors, bus drivers, and dispatchers there are very rude and very unaccommodating (up yours mother effers!). Ask them a question in Tagalog, they answer in Ilonggo and leave you hanging. Ask them in English, same thing. Didn't they go to school. Or is driving school the only one they went to. I had to call up a friend just to know the bus schedule. And off to the South Station I go. The people at the South Station are way better. But enough of the complaints.

I stayed at Camila Hotel. They have pretty decent rooms (then again, I took their business class room and I didn't get to see the cheaper rooms.) Room rates are from USD 17 - USD 33. But again, no free breakfast.

Dumuguete City is sprawling with foreigners. I can compare it to Olongapo City. There are also many foreign students here (from Korea and Pakistan). Night life here happens along the Boulevard where most of the bars and restaurants are located. Lucky for me, my brief stay at Dumaguete City was also the foundation week of the famous Silliman University, one of the more famous universities in the region with its international standards. This made the city more busy with the visitors and tourists. I actually had a little difficulty booking my accommodations.

That's my brief trip around Negros in four days.

No comments: