Search This Blog

Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Wonderful World of Piracy


The first time I saw the official trailer to the movie X-Men Origins: Wolverine was on YouTube. Great. Another Marvel super-hero movie. What got me excited was at long last, Gambit would be having some airtime, or reel time. The trailer said that the movie would be shown on the 1st of May. That's still a long way away and that would be in the U.S. It would take a few weeks more before it gets shown here in the Philippines.

A few weeks pass and I see pirated copies of the Wolverine movie at the nearby shopping arcade. I didn't take it much notice because I wanted to see it on the big screen even though I know that I would probably miss it anyway. I looked at the DVDs and the seller said, "Malinaw na yan (That's already clear)." Did he say a clear copy? How could that be? It's a new movie. The best they could get would be scenes recorded in a movie theatre somewhere. Shot with a steady hand, it could pass for something watchable.

A friend of mine said he had procured a copy of the pirated movie and told me it was clear as a DVD. How could it be? It was way too early to get such a copy. And then it hit me. The first of May is still a whole month away. It was possible that the pirated copy is an unfinished movie. My curiosity got to me and I borrowed my friend's copy. And I was right. It was an unfinished movie. The CGI wasn't finished. There were some shots taken in a studio by a blank screen. The timers are still on screen. The wires holding the actors weren't even edited out, yet.

I remember a couple of movies that had this kind of early release back in the day. They were Water World and Men In Black. I remember Water World came out early on VHS. The story wasn't really good because the editing wasn't finished yet. The scenes weren't where they were suppose to be at. No continuity. In the case of Men in Black, there were pencil sketches in the movie. The story board was shot and dubbed.

Many patronize the pirated movies simply because they're way cheaper than the originals and they come out earlier than usual. But an unfinished movie is not worth anything, pirated or original. But then again, the unfinished ones usually end up in the special features in your DVD.

No comments: