Search This Blog

Saturday, April 18, 2009

My Top 10 Unwanted Filipino Traits Pt.2

I gave you the first half, now here's the top five.

5. Envious crab. Envy and crab mentality altogether.

I don't know why they call it crab mentality. Crabs in a basket don't really pull down one another trying to get out of the basket. Anyway. Many Filipinos hold dear their social status. If some other person betters one person, one must pull the other down and will do so by any means necessary. One might even make up stories if need be. It's a dog eat dog world.

4. Nepotism.

Yes, nepotism is the term used when you favor a family member over a non-family member. But this doesn't only apply to family members. It could also extend to close friends. This happens everywhere in the Philippines. 'There's an opening for VP. I'll appoint my nephew. I know that someone else is more deserving but what will my sister say if I don't give the position to his son.' Sounds familiar, right?

3. Plastikan.

I can't seem to think of another term for this trait. Maybe because it's very Filipino. I guess it is important for us to mingle and show our best side to many people. It is. But sometimes it just goes too far to the extent of really bad acting. If you don't like someone, be it. Show it. But don't let it get in the way of your professional life. Let it stay personal. Or better yet, don't mingle too much. I guess this is one trait that's called a necessary evil.

2. See only evil.

Perhaps only very few people have this trait. Perhaps many. It doesn't matter how many, this trait is a downer and pisses many people off. Sorry folks, but reverse psychology doesn't work on everyone. It's just bad that there are those who see only the bad things about someone. A person makes a mistake, the mistake is highlighted. One blunder and he's branded for life. But if that person does something good, not even a 'good job' or a 'thank you.' That's why many people would rather do mediocre things or less. No recognition, no good job.

1. We complain a lot. The EDSA complex.

Now why did I say this? We may not notice it but, we do. It may be because of a good reason or otherwise but it really annoys me to see mobs marching at EDSA just to get what they want. We don't want our elected president. Get him impeached! We don't like a certain company's policy. Picket! Gas prices are high. Transportation Strike! We don't like the way a person dresses. Take his picture, put it in the blog, and say it sucks! No more mutants!!

Those are the traits that we have that I don't like. Of course, not every Filipino has those. I'm only speaking in general terms because most of us have these traits. I hope the we get rid of these traits or at least lessen them to a tolerable level.

No comments: