Search This Blog

Monday, February 25, 2008

Dune Chronicles


Dune, as far as I'm concerned, is the best Science Fiction series; Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Eperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, and Chapterhouse: Dune.

I have just finished reading the original first six novels written by Frank Herbert, and it took me a while. It wasn't very easy getting the copies until recently. The events in all six novels happened in a span of at least 5000 SY (Standard Years). The first three books was (I think) a trilogy. The story kind of melowed down by the fourth book. Events of the fourth book happened well after 3500 SY; a very long time. The events of the fifth one happened after another 1500 SY. Again, a very long time. Not to mention there were events in between like the Famine Times and the Scattering.

The end of the sixth book left me hanging and wanting to know more what happened next. Frank Herbert died before finishing the series.

In my opinion, I think Duncan Idaho is the main man in the Classic Dune novels. I mean, he's been around all the six novels. Yes, he's in all six of them and nope, he didn't live for at least 5000 SY. Heck, he died in the first novel. This is because of the Bene Tleilax technology of producing gholas. If you're a Dune fan, you know what I mean. For the sake of the non-Dune readers, yet, a ghola is a being that is grown form the cells of a cadaver. Much like a clone only from the dead. And Duncan Idaho have been made a ghola countless times. A thousand lives.

Good thing Frank Herbert's son, Brian Herbert, and co-writer Kevin J Anderson, wrote The Prelude to Dune Trilogy, Legends of Dune Trilogy, and, with the help of Frak Herbert's now found notes, the end of the Dune Saga; Hunters of Dune, Sandworms of Dune, and Paul of Dune. I'm not sure about Paul of Dune but it is written in the Hunters novel that it is forthcoming. So far, I only have read the Prelude to Dune Trilogy and Currently reading Hunters and so far, it has been a very nice read.

No comments: